Welcome to Nutmeg & Vinegar! I’m so happy you found me. Here you'll find easy recipes made with everyday ingredients, classics with a twist, and historical recipes from the middle ages through the touring 20s and beyond.
I am Maayke, the recipe developer behind Nutmeg & Vinegar living in the Netherlands with a passion for history, especially culinary history.
That is why I will also be sharing recipes I find in my antique cookbooks or the archives. I love trying recipes from the 17th & 18th-century and finding ways to make them work with modern ingrediënts.
I discovered my passion for food history when my big sister got me an antique cookbook for Christmas and after years of reading, researching, and trying recipes Nutmeg & Vinegar finally came to life in 2018.
When I’m not in the kitchen I’m probably spending time with family and friends or thinking about the recipes I want to make next.
Some of my favorite recipes
10 Random facts about me!
- I can't live without cheese!
- I know almost every line from Disney's the little mermaid (in Dutch of course).
- I am allergic to mosquitoes, but they seem to love me.
- Countries on my bucket list are Denmark, Ireland, Australia, Canada, and Iceland.
- I speak 2 and understand 5 languages.
- I don't like (
- I love reading. One of my favorite books is House between the tides by Sarah Maine.
- The inspiration for the name of this blog came from my favorite museum, the Westfries Museum. There is a room filled with the history of spices and wine. I always hated the smell of nutmeg in that room, but it is one of the most used spices in old recipes and therefore perfect for my blog.
- When I was young I always wanted to be an archaeologist.
- My favorite movie of all time is The Age of Adaline.
PS: I also get a lot of visitors from the Netherlands and Belgium. You can find the Dutch version of Nutmeg & Vinegar here!