Welcome to Nutmeg & Vinegar! I’m so happy you’re here!
I am Maayke, a foodie living in the Netherlands with a passion for history. It all started when my big sister got me an antique cookbook for Christmas and after years of reading, researching and trying recipes Nutmeg & Vinegar finally came to life in 2018.
I love trying recipes from the 17th & 18th-century and finding ways to make them work with modern ingrediënts. When I’m not in the kitchen I’m probably spending time with family and friends or thinking about the recipes I want to make next.
On my blog, you find my favorite recipes and, will I try recipes that I found in old cookbooks from the middle ages to the roaring ’20s and beyond.
10 Random facts about me!
- I can’t live without cheese!
- I know almost every line from Disney’s the little mermaid (in Dutch of course)
- I am allergic to mosquitoes, but they seem to love me
- Countries on my bucket list are Denmark, Ireland, Australia, Canada, and Iceland.
- I speak 2 and understand 5 languages.
- I don’t like coriander
- I love reading. One of my favorite books is House between the tides by Sarah Maine
- The inspiration for the name of this blog came from my favorite museum. There is a room filled with the history of spices and wine. I always hated the smell of nutmeg in that room, but it is one of the most used spices in old recipes and therefore perfect for my blog
- When I was young I always wanted to be an archaeologist
- My favorite movie of all times is The Age of Adaline
PS: I also get a lot of visitors from the Netherlands and Belgium. You can find the Dutch version of Nutmeg & Vinegar here!