Apple pie filled cinnamon rolls are the perfect fall breakfast! You only need a few simple ingredients to make this recipe from scratch.
Why you will love these cinnamon rolls with apple pie filling
I think we've all seen the TikTok trend where they turn a can of cinnamon rolls and apple pie filling into a quick and easy dessert. In this recipe, I'll teach you how to make this treat entirely from scratch! Don't worry that this is a complicated recipe; in fact, making cinnamon rolls and caramel apples is actually very easy!
Another thing I absolutely LOVE about this recipe is that it serves a crowd.
Sugar - For this recipe, I always recommend using dark brown sugar. This adds an amazing caramel flavor that goes perfectly with the caramelized apples.
Yeast - to make the dough rise, add a little yeast. I always use instant yeast.
Instant yeast does not need to be dissolved in warm water, so you can add it immediately to the flour.
If you prefer to use fresh yeast, that works as well. Check the package to see how much you need.
Butter - for this recipe, you will need unsalted butter. This adds a rich flavor and makes the cinnamon rolls super soft and fluffy! When using salted butter in your dough, there is no need to add extra salt.
Apple pie filling - Why settle for canned apple pie filling when making your own homemade caramel apple pie filling is super quick and easy? Plus, you can prep the filling while waiting for the dough to rise!
Warm the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter has melted. In the meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, stir all the dry ingredients together.
Pour the warm milk with the egg and vanilla into the flour and mix until just combined. Turn the dough out on a well-floured counter and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until soft and springy. Place the dough in a mixing bowl and let it rise for about 60 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
Take your dough out of the bowl and roll it out into a large rectangle. It should be about 14x9 inch. Spread the butter over the dough and cover it with the cinnamon sugar. Make sure to skip the sides of the dough.
My tips for this recipe
Making apple pie filled cinnamon rolls from scratch is super easy, but I have a few tips for making them the best cinnamon rolls you've ever had!
Use shortcuts. If you are short on time, using ready-made ingredients like Pillsbury cinnamon rolls or apple pie filling is totally fine.
Take your time. Kneading the dough and letting it rise until it has doubled in size is what gives you soft, pillowy cinnamon rolls, so it is important that you follow these steps. If you are short on time in the morning, you can do this the night before and let the dough rest in the fridge.
Homemade apple pie filled cinnamon rolls will keep at room temperature for about four days. To prevent them from drying out, it is important to wrap them in plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container.
They are also perfect for freezing! Wrap them up into individual packages before freezing. This way, they will last for up to six months. Let them thaw overnight, and you have the perfect breakfast to go!
More easy recipes for cinnamon rolls
For the dough
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 package of instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup of milk
For the apple pie filling
- 4 large apples
- 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
For the cinnamon filling
- 4 tablespoons of softened butter
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Preparing the dough
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast to a large mixing bowl and give them a quick mix.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and butter until the butter melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool to 100°F. For the best results, it's important not to overheat the milk.
- Pour the milk into the flour mix until you have a loose dough.
- Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until soft and springy.
- Place the dough back into your mixing bowl and let it rise at room temperature for about 60 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
Preparing the apple pie filling
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into small cubes.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the apples.
- Cook the apples until they become soft, and add the sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake them for another 2-3 minutes until the apples are caramelized.
- Transfer them to a shallow bowl and let them cool to room temperature before continuing with the recipe.
Making the apple pie filled cinnamon rolls
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C).
- To make the cinnamon filling, mix the softened butter, cinnamon, and sugar together and set aside.
- To form the required shape, roll out the dough on a surface sprinkled with a small amount of flour, until it measures 8 inches in width and 15 inches in length.
- Spread the cinnamon filling over the dough.
- Divide the apples over the cinnamon filling and tightly roll up the dough.
- Cut the dough into 1.5-inch rolls and place them into a baking dish.
- Place them in the center of the oven and let them bake for about 30 minutes until golden.
- Make sure to allow the apple pie filled cinnamon rolls to cool completely before adding any toppings, like a powdered sugar glaze or cream cheese frosting.
To make this recipe completely vegan replace the milk and butter with a plant-based variety!