Soft, sweet homemade applesauce made with just two ingredients. You can add sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice to taste.
I never add sugar or other sweeteners to my applesauce because I want my applesauce to taste like well… apples but if you use tart apples or you just like your sauce to be really sweet you can add the sugar at step 3. You could also add spices like nutmeg and ginger or add some speculaas spices!
Uses for applesauce
I like to eat my applesauce warm just as it is but there are a lot more things you could do!
- Use it in cakes and cupcakes
- Make some apple pancakes!
- Add some to your oatmeal
Ingredients you will need
- Cinnamon *optional
- Sugar *optional
- Lemon juice or vinegar *optional
You can use any apple you want, I usually use elstars but any apple you use will be delicious!
Sure. Divide the cooled applesauce over freezer bags or containers and store in the freezer for about 3 months.
You can keep the sauce for a couple of days in the fridge
Yes! Just leave out the sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon when you make this sauce for small babies.
- 6 medium apples
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 tsp cinnamon *optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar *optional
- 2 tbsp sugar *optional
- Peel, core and dice your apples.
- Put the apples, water, cinnamon, lemon juice and sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Bring to a boil and let the apples simmer for about 15-20 minutes until they are soft and easily break apart.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher, press them through a sieve or puree them.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher for a chunkier applesauce.
- press them through a sieve if you want a smoother applesauce.
- If you really want no lumps in your applesauce you can puree the apples with a stick blender or a food processor.
- You can keep the applesauce in the freezer for about 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g
Did you make something from this blog? I would love to see your creations! Leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram #nutmegandvinegar or tag me @nutmegvinegar in your message.