This refreshing Asian cucumber salad is super easy to make and all you need is cucumber, sugar, vinegar, and in a few minutes, you have a healthy salad.
Because this cucumber salad is so easy to make, it is the perfect thing to take with you on a picnic, serve with homemade burgers at a BBQ, or have in your fridge for when you want a healthy snack.
- Cucumber - for this recipe, English cucumbers work best.
- Vinegar - I always use white wine vinegar when I make this recipe, but you can use any clear white vinegar.
- Sugar - to make the dressing a little less tangy, we add a tablespoon of sugar.
You can find the complete ingredient list and instructions on the recipe card below!
Making this salad is super easy. All you have to do is slice the cucumber into thin slices. Heat up the vinegar with the sugar and let it simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Put the cucumber into a bowl or a mason jar and pour over the vinegar. Let it cool and sit in the fridge for a few hours. That's it!
You could also add a thinly sliced onion if you like. Just toss it in with the cucumbers! I like to use red onions and a thinly sliced red pepper for a pop of color.
Chili flakes are also great if you don't have fresh red pepper.
Yes! If you don't like to leave the skin on, you can peel it off, but there are a lot of nutrients and fibers in the skin, so I recommend keeping it on.
You can use honey or coconut sugar instead of regular sugar.
- A mason jar to store the salad in. Empty jam jars are also great!
- You also need a cutting board and a sharp knife.
This cucumber salad is best eaten within three days.
- 1 cucumber
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili vlakes or 1 fresh red pepper *optional
- 1 small onion *optional
- Add the vinegar and the sugar to a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Was the cucumber and cut it into thin slices.
- Put the cucumber slices into a jar and pour over the hot vinegar.
- Let it cool and let the cool cucumber sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 12Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g