Souvlaki is one of Greece’s most famous dishes . Traditionally Pork is used for this recipe but, I like to make mine with chicken. Chicken souvlaki is easy to make and perfect for a summer BBQ. Serve the chicken with pita bread, a salad and, don’t forget the tzatziki for an easy summer meal.
Meat on skewers has been eaten in Greece for thousands of years. In Akrotiri archeologist discovered a special stone BBQ from the 17th-century BC made especially to cook skewers.
I was planning to cook my chicken souvlaki on the BBQ before taking the photos but, the weather decided to ruin my plans. It rained non stop for the last few days so, I had to cook them in my grill pan instead.
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper to a bowl and mix them together.
Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces, about 2 cm (1 inch) and add them to the other ingredients and let them marinate for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile, soak the wooden skewers in some water to prevent them from burning.
Thread the chicken cubes onto the skewers.
Heat up your grill or pan and cook the chicken for about 5 minutes on both sides until they are done.
Other recipes in my Greek series are:
- 500g (1 lb) chicken breast
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 6 wooden skewers
- Add the garlic, olive oil, oregano, lemon juice, pepper and, salt to a bowl and mix them together.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and, add them to the marinade. Set aside and let the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Soak the skewers in water to prevent them from burning.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers.
- Heat up your grill and cook the skewers for about 5 minutes on both sides until the chicken is cooked
Did you make something from my blog? I would love to see your creations! Leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram #nutmegandvinegar or tag @nutmegvinegar me in your message.