Chocolate filled cookies are the perfect afternoon snack. This recipe is quick and easy to make with just a few basic ingredients!
Why you will love this recipe
- Soft and chewy cookies with a chocolate center. Stuffed cookies are the perfect combination of a soft, creamy filling and a crispy outside.
- You can make them from scratch in less than 30 minutes! There is no need to chill the dough. You can just mix all the ingredients together, add the chocolate center, and bake them in the oven until they are done!
- Add chocolate chips! If you're a true chocolate lover, add ½ cup of chocolate chips to the dough before adding the chocolate filling.
Flour - for these cookies, it is best to use all-purpose flour. This type of flour contains less gluten, giving you soft, crumbly cookies. You can use self-rising flour if you like but do not add any extra baking powder.
Butter - butter adds a rich, creamy flavor to your cookies. Make sure to use unsalted butter or leave out the salt! You can use a plant-based butter if you're looking for a vegan recipe.
Chocolate - when chocolate is the star of the recipe, you should always use a chocolate that you LOVE to eat! Therefore, I recommend using dark chocolate to balance out the sweetness of the dough.
Sugar - I know my recipe calls for dark brown sugar, but you can use granulated sugar as well. Because brown sugar contains molasses, white sugar will change the flavor, but they are still delicious!
Cream cheese. If you love red velvet cookies, you absolutely want to try replacing the chocolate with a cream cheese filling!
Add dried fruit. Adding small pieces of dried fruit adds a nice, chewy texture to the cookies! Dates, apricots, and figs are my favorites!
Jam. Adding one teaspoon of strawberry jam to the filling makes them the perfect cookie for Valentine's Day!
Nutella. Replace the chocolate with a scoop of Nutella or your favorite hazelnut spread! When you're using a soft filling like Nutella or jam, it is best to put it in the freezer. This will make stuffing the cookies a lot easier!
My tips for the best chocolate filled cookies
Never overmix the dough. Overworking the dough gives you tough cookies!
Add enough chocolate.
Use the best quality chocolate you can afford.
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature.
If you want really chewy cookies, use bread flour.
To make these chocolate filled cookies, you will need a large mixing bowl, a whisk or hand mixer, a two tablespoon ice cream scoop, measuring cups of a kitchen scale, and a baking mat.
Homemade chocolate filled cookies will keep for about five days. Make sure to store them in an airtight container or wrap them in plastic wrap. If you want them to last longer, I recommend freezing them. Wrapped in plastic wrap, you can keep them in the freezer for up to six months!
- 1 cup (220 grams) of brown sugar
- ½ cup (120 grams) of butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240 grams) of flour
- A pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 chocolate bars
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C) and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix until the butter is lighter in color and creamy.
- Stir the egg and vanilla extract into the butter until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix with a spatula to form a soft dough. Do not work the dough too long, or you will end up with tough cookies!
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of about two tablespoons of dough from the bowl and flatten it slightly. Place a piece of chocolate on top and fold the dough around it.
- Place the dough balls on the baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for about 10 minutes until done.
- Remove the cookies from the oven when they are nicely golden brown and after a few minutes, move them to a cooling rack to cool completely.