Italian seasoning is a mixture of herbs like oregano, thyme, and basil. You can make this mix in a few minutes, and it is perfect for pasta sauce or in a marinade for meat or vegetables!
What is Italian seasoning?
Italian seasoning Is a mix of herbs that give your Italian recipes their flavor. It is almost always a mixture of oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil, and sometimes ingredients such as garlic powder, chili flakes, and parsley. You can add salt if you like, but I like to add the salt later while cooking to ensure there isn't too much salt.
How to make your own homemade seasoning
Making your own seasonings is super easy. You have to add the ingredients into a bowl, mix them well, and store them in an airtight glass container. I like to reuse old spice jars for my homemade seasonings. This saves money and is better for the environment.
Ingredients you will need
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Oregano - is often used in Mediterranean recipes. It has a slightly bitter and a little minty flavor.
- Basil - has a sweet aroma and is often used in Italian recipes like Caprese salad and pizza.
- Rosemary - is a member of the mint family. These fragrant leaves are used worldwide in spice mixes or tea.
- Thyme - is a fragrant, woody herb used in Mediterranean recipes like stews and pasta sauce.
- Save empty spice jars to store your homemade Italian seasoning in.
- Try to buy the best quality gerbs you can find. This will make a difference in the flavor.
- You can store your homemade seasoning in a dark place for more than a year. Your seasoning starts to lose its flavor after that.
- You can add some salt or chili flakes, but I like to add that later while I'm cooking.
- If you like to use fresh herbs, you can absolutely use this recipe. Just make sure you wash and dry your herbs and use a little bit more than when you use dried herbs. Add soft herbs like basil and oregano a little later. They will lose their flavor more quickly.
- If you want to make, a larger batch, just double the recipe!
Italian seasoning is a mixture of herbs like oregano, thyme, and basil. You can make this mix in a few minutes and it is perfect for pasta sauce or in a marinade for meat or vegetables!
- 1 ½ tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- Add all the ingredients into a small bowl.
- Mix well and store in a glass jar.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of chili flakes if you want.
- You can store the seasoning in a dark place for more than a year.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Leave a Reply