After making my first homemade salted caramel sauce I never want store-bought again. If you're like me you will LOVE this recipe! This salted caramel sauce is easy to make and you only need five ingredients.
Although making caramel is very easy, it can also be dangerous. The sugar gets very hot and can give you serious burns if you don't pay attention. So NEVER stick your finger in the hot caramel sauce and wait to taste the sauce until it has completely cooled down.
I use the wet method t make my caramel. For me, this is the best way to make sure everything turns out the way I want. Always use a heavy-bottomed pan when making caramel. This ensures that the heat is distributed more evenly and prevents your caramel from burning. Because the colour of the sugar tells you when your caramel is ready, you don't need a thermometer for this recipe.
Yes, because of the cream I use in this recipe I would recommend to keep this sauce refrigerated. Don't worry about the thickness of the sauce, it will still be pourable when it's cold.
Your salted caramel sauce will keep for about two weeks in the fridge and three months in the freezer.
I love to drizzle caramel sauce over ice cream or pie...cookies.... anything really!
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 ml (½ cup) water
- 1 tbsp vanilla (optional)
- Heat the sugar and the water in a heavy-bottomed pan until the sugar has melted and the sugar is completely dissolved and starts to bubble. Stop stirring as it starts to boil to prevent crystallization.
- Let it bubble away without stirring on a medium-high heat until the sugar mixture turns a dark amber colour.
- As soon as your caramel has the right colour, turn off the heat and slowly add the heavy cream while stirring. This will bubble up and steam quite a bit so please be careful!
- Add the salt and vanilla en keep stirring on a low heat until everything is well combined.
- Pour the salted caramel sauce into a jar and let it cool completely. It will thicken as it cools.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you make something from this blog? I would love to see your creations! Leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram #nutmegandvinegar or tag me @nutmegvinegar in your message.