Cinnamon sugar is amazing on your favorite desserts. Learn the perfect cinnamon sugar ratio and how to use it.
Especially when you buy your spices and sugars in bulk!
Sugar - for this recipe, you need regular granulated sugar, but other sugars, such as brown sugar or coconut sugar, will work too.
I like to use powdered sugar when I make this spiced sugar to sprinkle over desserts like oliebollen or beignets. Did you know powdered sugar is super easy to make at home?
Cinnamon - this ingredient speaks for itself, but you also need cinnamon. If you want something different, you can replace the cinnamon with speculaas spice mix or pumpkin spice.
For me, the perfect ratio is ½ cup of sugar and one tablespoon of ground cinnamon. This ratio is not too overpowering but gives your desserts a mild cinnamon flavor. Feel free to add an extra tablespoon of cinnamon for a stronger flavor.
How to use cinnamon sugar
You can use it in all your baking recipes where you add sugar and cinnamon, but it is also great sprinkled over your favorite dessert!
- oliebollen, quarckballchen and apple fritters
- Dust this spiced sugar over your protein cinnamon rolls
- Sprinkle a little on your pancakes or poffertjes
- Use it instead of plain sugar for baking cakes or muffins.
- Sprinkle a little on vanilla ice cream!
- Add some to your French toast
- This is the perfect ratio for a swirl in cinnamon bun pancakes!
- It is also amazing as a crunchy topping for homemade honey scones or cinnamon apple scones!
To make this recipe, you will need a measuring cup, a bowl, and an airtight jar.
Properly sealed, homemade cinnamon sugar stays good for a long time. So for expiration dates, check the packaging of your sugar and cinnamon.
To prevent your sugar from getting wet, storing the cinnamon sugar in an airtight jar is best. Small weck jars are ideal for this.
More kitchen basics to try next
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Put the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the cinnamon sugar into a tightly sealable jar and store it in a dark place.