Mediterranean yellow rice is an easy side dish with an amazing bright color. You make this vegan dish in less than 30 minutes with spices like turmeric and basmati rice.
Why you will LOVE this recipe
- The perfect fluffy rice to go with all of your main dishes.
- Kids LOVE the yellow color.
- Super quick and easy to make.
- It's a one-pot recipe.
Rice - for best results, it is best to use long-grain rice like basmati rice. This fragrant rice is long and a little drier after cooking so you don't get sticky rice on your plate.
Turmeric - turmeric gives the typical yellow flavor to the rice. It also provides a spicy flavor that goes perfectly with the cumin and paprika.
Stock - you can cook the rice in water, but adding a stock will give your rice so much more flavor.
I prefer to use an herb or vegetable stock. This one doesn't overpower too quickly and that way you keep the dish vegan!
How to make Mediterranean yellow rice
You start by frying the onion and spices until they are soft and fragrant. Then add the cooked rice and sauté it for a while.
Season the rice with some salt and pepper and sprinkle with fresh herbs, if desired.
What to serve it with
As a side dish, this yellow rice is very tasty with Mediterranean dishes such as souvlaki or kofta.
I like to complete the meal with a fresh salad. Add some extra herbs and pinenuts for extra crunch and you have the perfect diner.
To make this recipe, you will need a large skillet with a lid to cook the rice. You will also need a measuring cup and a cutting board.
Properly covered, you can store this dish in the refrigerator for about four days. If you want to keep it longer, I recommend freezing the rice.
In the freezer, it will keep for about six months.
To reheat it, take it out of the freezer a few hours in advance and heat it up in a saucepan or in the microwave.
If your rice has become a little dry, you can add a little water while reheating.
More easy recipes with rice
Mediterranean yellow rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion with the garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add the turmeric, ground cumin, and paprika and cook for about one minute until fragrant.
- Add the rice and stir everything together until all the rice is coated with the spices.
- Pour the water into the rice and bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down to low and let the rice cook for about 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to see if the rice is cooked.
- Loosen the yellow rice with a fork and serve with kofta and a salad.