There is nothing better than a homemade spaghetti sauce. This healthy sauce is packed with vegetables and super easy to make. The mild flavor of the zucchini and the chicken makes it perfect for children.
Spaghetti sauce is a super-easy way to eat more vegetables especially if you have children. There is a pasta sauce out there for even the pickiest eaters, trust me. Because this spaghetti sauce is ready in about half an hour you won’t need to buy store-bought pasta sauce ever again.
Ingredients you will need
- Chicken breast
- Bell peppers
- Tomato puree
- Diced tomatoes, canned
- Olive oil
- Sugar *Optional
YES! Let is cool completely, decide the sauce over freezer bags or containers, and keep it in the fridge for about 3 months.
Try adding some broccoli, carrots or celery!
Absolutely! Children love the mild flavor of the zucchini and chicken. If you have a really picky eater you can puree the sauce before adding the chicken. This sauce is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies!
Yes, let it cool completely, divide it over freezer bags or containers, and keep the sauce in the freezer for about three months. Take it out of the freezer and let the sauce thaw overnight in the fridge if you want to eat it the next day.
No you don’t have to add sugar if you don’t want to but canned tomatoes can me a bit tart sometimes.
Other Italian recipes you will love
- 400 g chicken breast, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar *OPTIONAL
- 1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes
- 140 g (5 oz) tomato puree
- 125 ml (1/2) cup of water
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and add the onions.
- Cook the onions for a few minutes until they soften. Add the garlic and cook them for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook them on medium heat until they are almost done.
- Add the bell pepper and zucchini and cook for another few minutes until the. vegetables begin to soften
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, the tomato puree, water, the thyme, pepper, salt, and sugar. Let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce has the right thickness.
Try making this sauce with other vegetables like carrot, celery, or broccoli!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 671mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g
Did you make something from this blog? I would love to see your creations! Leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram #nutmegandvinegar or tag me @nutmegvinegar in your message.