This DIY taco seasoning recipe has the perfect balance between smokey and savory. You can make this easy DIY seasoning in under 5 minutes!
One thing I like about making my seasonings is that you can control my sodium and sugar intake. This recipe is without salt, but you can add ½ teaspoon to the mix.
Once you start making your own, you will never buy store-bought again!
- Paprika powder - I always use smoked paprika powder when making taco seasoning. Paprika powder gives the mix a nice smokey flavor.
- Chili powder - this gives the seasoning some heat. You can add less for a mild mix.
- Ground cumin - cumin gives the mix an earthy flavor. Be careful not to add too much. A little goes a long way!
You can find the complete ingredient list and instructions on the recipe card below!
How to use this taco seasoning recipe
You add about two tablespoons to 1 pound of ground meat to make the best tacos ever. I always use a mix made with half pork and half beef.
If it becomes too dry, you might want to add ½ cup (120 ml) to the meat.
This mix is also fantastic with ground turkey or chicken!
- A bowl to mix the seasoning.
- Empty spice jars or small mason jars to store the taco mix. I like to make a label for each blend.
Homemade seasonings will keep for about a year. You can use it after the first year, but the flavor will start to deteriorate.
Are you looking for more homemade seasonings? Try these!
- 1 tablespoon chilipowder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlicpowder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes *optional
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix them well.
- Pour the taco seasoning in a small jar and store the spice mix in a dark place.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1178mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g