You only need a few ingredients to make vegan lentil soup. This healthy soup with celery, lentils, carrot and chili flakes is also quick and very easy to make.
Lentils are an easy and versatile ingredient to have in stock in the kitchen. Not only to use in soups but they are also delicious in a curry, in wraps instead of beans or in a stew. Lentils are also popular in vegan pasta dishes.
Like other members of the legume family, lentils are highly nutritious. They are packed with vitamins, iron and protein but low carb which makes them perfect as an alternative for meat. They are also high in fiber which is great for your digestive system.
It doesn’t take long to make this vegan lentil soup and unlike my carrot soup, you don’t have to puree this one. You can if you like a really smooth soup but the lentils and vegetables will become soft enough and some of them will fall apart to create a creamy warming soup on their own.
Yes, lentils are gluten-free. Just make sure your stock doesn’t contain any gluten and you’re good to go.
You can keep this soup in your freezer for about 3 months.
You can make this soup in a crock pot or slow cooker. Just add all the ingredients to your crock pot and let it cook on low for a few hours.
Other soup recipes you will love!
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 360g(2 cups) red lentils
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2L (8 1/2 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 oniond, diced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the vegetables for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the spices and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes to soften the vegetables
- Add the lentils and let the soup simmer on a low heat for another 15 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
This soup will keep in the freezer for about 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Did you make something from this blog? I would love to see your creations! Leave a comment below and share your pictures on Instagram #nutmegandvinegar or tag me @nutmegvinegar in your message.