This broccoli and bacon quiche is a delicious dish for a family dinner. It is easy to make, nutritious, and full of flavor. It is also an ideal recipe for making up leftover vegetables or cheese.
A recipe like this quiche with broccoli and bacon is great to have for when a lot of people are coming for dinner, like on a birthday or during Christmas.
Not only because it is easy to make, but it is also perfect for making the day before!
On the day itself, just serve it cold or warm it up for a few minutes.
Why you will love this broccoli quiche with bacon
Great for meal prepping. Broccoli and bacon quiche stays good for about a week, and that makes it perfect for meal prep!
Perfect for leftover vegetables. Feel free to make use of any vegetables you have on hand when preparing this dish.
Ideal for breakfast. If you need a quick and easy breakfast or brunch recipe, try this quiche! Simply prepare it and let it bake while you get ready for the day.
Flour - all-purpose flour is perfect for the quiche crust. Bread flour or half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour will work as well!
You can also use a ready-made quiche base or savory pie dough, but did you know that making your own savory pie dough is also very easy?
Butter - butter has a wonderful full flavor to the bottom. I always go with unsalted cream butter in my recipes.
Do you only have butter with salt? Then, don't add extra salt to the dough.
Bacon - bacon goes perfectly with the mild flavor of broccoli. You could also use veggie cubes if you prefer to eat vegetarian.
Herbs - I always use rosemary when I make this recipe, but other herbs like thyme or parsley are also delicious!
Make it dairy-free. Substitute the butter and milk for a plant-based option like almond or oat milk for a dairy-free quiche.
Experiment with different veggies. While broccoli is a popular choice for quiche, there are other vegetables that can add a unique twist to the dish. Some people enjoy experimenting with zucchini, bell peppers, or carrots as alternative options.
Adding green onions, mushrooms, fresh spinach, or shallots ...
Try other cheeses. I always use Gouda cheese in my quiche, but other mild-flavored cheeses like Gruyere, parmesan, Swiss, cheddar, or similar are also delicious.
Gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour or oat flour for the dough or a ready-made gluten-free pie crust!
This broccoli quiche is also amazing with other types of meat. Think ham, shredded chicken, or sausage.
My tips for the best broccoli and bacon quiche
I always make my own pie crust, but you could use store-bought pie crust if you prefer.
Use up leftover vegetables!
Make and prebake your pie crust the day before or freeze it to safe time.
Use fresh ingredients.
Use cold butter for the crust. This will give the crust an amazing flaky texture!
Frequently asked questions
Quiche is a French tart made with eggs, cream, cheese, and other fillings like meat and vegetables.
Absolutely! Broccoli quiche is just as good when it's cold.
You can use this recipe to make a crustless quiche.
Yes! But I don't recommend freezing the prepared quiche when you've used frozen vegetables.
- Green salad. I like a simple beetroot salad with this quiche.
- Roasted vegetables.
- Potatoes. Pair a broccoli and bacon quiche with almond milk mashed potatoes for a complete meal.
- Fruit salads, such as spinach salad with apples or feta and watermelon salad, add a fresh and sweet touch to any meal.
To make this broccoli and bacon quiche recipe, you will need a mixing bowl, cling film, a frying pan, and a quiche baking dish. For this recipe, I used a 33 cm quiche form.
You can store homemade quiche in the refrigerator for about three days. Do cover it well to prevent it from drying out.
Do you want to keep the broccoli quiche longer? Then I recommend freezing it. You can keep it in the freezer for three months.
Take it out of the freezer well in advance and let it thaw in the refrigerator.
You can eat the quiche either warm or cold. Reheating is best in a preheated oven or in the microwave.
Tip: Before freezing, cut the quiche into portions and pack them individually. That way, you put enough on the table quickly without throwing the rest away!
More amazing recipes from France
For the quiche crust
- 2 cups (250 grams) of flour
- ½ cup (130 grams) of cold butter
- 4-5 tablespoons cold water
- A pinch of salt
For the quiche filling
- 2 ½ cup (400 grams) of broccoli
- 12 slizes (125 grams) of bacon bits
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup (140 ml) milk
- 1 cup (125 grams) grated cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
The quiche crust
- Put the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and stir briefly.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes, and with cold hands, rub the butter through the flour until it looks like bread crumbs.
- Add cold water little by little until you can knead a smooth dough. Be careful not to knead the dough too long!
- Wrap the dough in cling film and leave it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
The broccoli and bacon filling
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Bring water to a boil and blanch the broccoli in it. This will take about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a dry frying pan, fry the bacon and remove it from the pan.
- Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in the remaining fat until translucent.
In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, rosemary, salt, pepper and grated cheese.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it into a thin round piece about 5 mm thick.
- Place the dough in the quiche pan,
- Ooke holes in the crust, and pre-bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the quiche bottom from the oven and divide the bacon, broccoli, and onions on top
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and carefully place the quiche in the center of the oven.
- Bake the quiche for 20 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown color.
If your quiche is browning too quickly, cover the dish with tinfoil for the remaining cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 27.6gSaturated Fat: 14.4gCholesterol: 174mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 30.5gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 3gProtein: 18.8g