This creamy red pasta pesto is an amazing quick and easy meal for a weekday. In fact, you can make this recipe in less than 30 minutes!
Everyone knows by now the regular pasta pesto with basil, but did you know you can also make it with red pesto?
Because of the sun-dried tomatoes, this pesto gives a delicious fresh taste to the pasta.
PS. Have some pasta left over? Use it to make a delicious pasta salad with pesto!
Pasta - I used fusilli to make this recipe for the picture, but of course, you can take any pasta you have on hand.
Tip: Replace regular white pasta with whole wheat pasta sometimes. That way, you'll still get extra fiber and other healthy nutrients without much effort.
Red pesto - I know the recipe calls for homemade red pesto, but you can absolutely use ready-made pesto from the supermarket.
Feta cheese - the fresh taste of the feta is perfect to balance out the creamy pesto.
Not a fan of feta? Then spread some mozzarella, Parmesan, or cottage cheese on top.
What to serve with red pasta pesto
Of course, to turn pasta with red pesto into a complete meal, you need some vegetables and meat or meat substitute. I often serve the following dishes with it.
- Fresh salads like pointed cabbage salad or a Caprese salad go perfectly with the creamy pasta.
- I like to serve pan-seared chicken breast with this dish. You can also season the chicken with Italian seasoning substitute or pair it with chicken souvlaki!
- A meat substitute is always good too.
You will need a large skillet, a pan to cook the pasta in, and a food processor to make this recipe.
You can store pasta red pesto in the refrigerator for about three days. Be sure to store it in an airtight container to prevent the pasta from drying out.
Pasta with red pesto is also suitable for freezing!
It will keep in the freezer for about six months.
Before serving, thaw the pasta in the refrigerator and reheat it in the microwave or in a pan on the stove.
If the pasta has become a little dry, you can add a little water to it while reheating.
This red pesto pasta is also delicious cold! Ideal for taking leftovers for lunch to work or school!
More easy pasta recipes
Red pasta pesto
- 1 package pasta
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the red pesto
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 ½ tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 oz roasted sweet bell pepper
- 1.5 clove garlic
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Bring a generous amount of water to a boil and cook the pasta al dente. Look for the cooking time on the packaging of the pasta.
- Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor and mix everything until the pesto has the desired consistency.
- Drain the pasta.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add the pesto and pasta and stir well until all the pasta is coated with pesto.
- Divide the red pesto pasta over the plates and sprinkle some feta on top.